Systems Engineering & Naval Architecture
The Department of System Engineering and Naval Architecture (SENA) was founded in July of 1959, at which time it was called the Department of Naval Architecture. It is the first department in Taiwan specifically for training engineers on ship design and construction. Today, SENA's alumni are working internationally in fields of shipbuilding, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, research institutions, education, marine transportation, business and computer; excelling as leaders in their professions.
The department has consistently adjusted and upgraded its educational goals and research fields in compliance with the rapidly changing industry demand. The research projects undertaken by the faculty are related to structure dynamics, fluid dynamics, propulsion system, vibration, acoustics, automatic control, material management, and optimal design.
System Engineering provides a different perspective on design, engineering and operation of complex projects. Witnessing the importance of training engineers in the system-engineering integration required urgently by industries, the department deliberately integrated its current educational and research resources and then, in August 1999, adjusted its name to the Department of System Engineering and Naval Architecture.
The educational goals of this department are:
- Cultivate students with the ability to apply engineering knowledge, engineering system planning, design development, production and project management.
- Cultivate students with the ability to design and integrate any subsystem such as electromechanical and automatic control, computer information management, structure, heat flow and ship.
- Cultivate students' habit of continuous learning and understand professional ethics and social responsibility.
- Realize the increasingly aware of the value of postgraduate study, the master's degree program and the doctoral program were established in 1981 and 1987 respectively. The mission of these programs is to cultivate research talents in electromechanical and automation systems, heat flow systems, structural systems, computer information systems, and ship engineering systems and the R&D talents who develop the integration of various professional engineering systems.
The master's talents trained in the same educational goals will have the following core competencies:
- The ability to apply mathematics, science, and engineering knowledge: decompose, conceptualize, model, and simulate systems engineering problems through time-dimensional (programs), logical dimensions (relationships), and knowledge dimensions (professional) to find a viable solution.
- The ability to design and execute experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data: for complex system problems, you can first simplify, and use simple conceptual experiments, model tests, or numerical simulations to explore real-world problems, analyze data, and interpret its meaning.
- The skills, techniques, and tools required to perform engineering practices: At the site, instruments and tools can be used to detect relevant parameters or physical quantities of the problem to identify diagnostic engineering problems.
- Ability to design engineering systems, components or processes: with limited design data reference, new engineering individual systems can be designed according to new requirements, such as electromechanical and automation systems, heat flow systems, structural systems, computer information systems, ship engineering systems .
- Effective communication and teamwork ability: effectively communicate with the project entrusting unit, design execution unit, contractor, material supplier and customer to meet each other's needs, and can fully coordinate the division of labor with their own team.
- Ability to discover, analyze, and deal with problems: Analyze the key issues and related influencing factors of the system engineering or ship engineering problems encountered, and propose a comprehensive solution to the problem in a systematic thinking mode.
- Understand current issues, understand the impact of engineering technology on the environment, society and the world, and develop the habits and abilities of continuous learning: understanding the rapid changes in systems engineering technology and the impact of international new ideas on ship design; and understanding the continuous learning is Yongbao The key to operating the ability to participate.
- Understanding professional ethics and social responsibility: Understand the responsibilities of engineers to provide safe, reliable, economical, effective, and environmentally friendly products. Establish a serious work attitude and confidence, play the spirit of teamwork, and deeply understand the meaning and value of the results of their work.
The university department of the department has more than 2,000 graduated friends. In addition to serving in shipbuilding related industries and institutions at home and abroad, they have also stepped into the mechanical engineering, civil engineering, academia, aviation, and information communities. The performance of the land and sea transportation industry and management level are quite competent and outstanding.
There are more than 200 graduate students in the master's program. Each of them has specializations, including vibration and noise prevention and measurement technology, high-performance propeller design, non-destructive testing, structural analysis, computational flow, production management and Optimum design, information management, electromechanical integration, nano-micron process technology and other professional capabilities, in many high-tech industries, science parks, business circles, etc. have won important positions, have to play what they have learned.
No matter where you are from, your dreams are valid with us. The Department of Systems Engineering and Shipbuilding of Ocean University has been adhering to the professional education concept and development characteristics for more than 50 years. It has created a beautiful life for the graduates who have passed through this department, and made them "what to do, like what". If you have a dream in your heart, join our team, we will accompany you to the treasure trove of knowledge, explore and learn the system and engineering expertise, let your heart not only embrace the dream, embrace new knowledge, but also think hard, with us The future of the century of innovation.